Choosing Your Treating Doctor
There are several reasons why you might want to choose your own treating doctor for a federal workers compensation injury.
- You may feel more comfortable with a doctor you know and trust. If you have a regular doctor who you’ve been seeing for other health issues, you may want to continue seeing them for your work-related injury. This can help to ensure that your care is coordinated and that your doctor is familiar with your overall health history.
- You may want a doctor who is experienced in treating work-related injuries. Not all DOL doctors are created equal, and some may have more experience treating work-related injuries than others. If you want to make sure that you’re getting the best possible care, you may want to choose a doctor who specializes in this area.
- You may want a doctor who is willing to advocate for you. When you’re injured on the job, you may need to file a federal workers compensation claim. This can be a complex process, and it’s important to have an OWCP doctor who is willing to advocate for you and make sure that you get the benefits you deserve.
Of course, there are also some potential drawbacks to choosing your own treating doctor. For example, your doctor may not be located near your home or work, which could make it difficult to get to appointments. Additionally, your doctor may not be familiar with the specific requirements of the federal workers compensation program, which could lead to delays in getting your benefits.
Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to choose your own treating doctor is a personal one. You should weigh the pros and cons carefully before making a decision.
Here are some additional tips for choosing a treating doctor for a federal workers compensation injury:
- Get recommendations from friends, family, or co-workers.
- Ask your union representative for recommendations.
- Do your own research online.
- Interview several doctors before making a decision.
It’s also important to remember that you can change your treating doctor at any time. If you’re not happy with your current doctor, you can always find another one.